Upland - Waterfowl - Big Game Hunting Guide School
Welcome to Northern Plains Hunting Guide School! We are the first Guide School in the industry to provide comprehensive Guide Training for Upland, Waterfowl, and Whitetail Deer all in one Course. As you may know there are many Guide Schools in the U.S. but the majority of them concentrate solely on Western Big Game. They teach horsemanship, packing, camp setup, wilderness skills, etc. This is great but many people looking to get into the Hunting Guide industry may not have interest in that type of Guiding. This is where we have separated ourselves from the others by gearing our School Curriculum toward Upland Bird Hunt Training, keying on Pheasants, Grouse, Partridge, Quail, etc. Along with this course, we also offer training in Waterfowl which includes Ducks, Canada Geese, and Snow Geese, etc. To round things out, we also provide the training needed to guide Whitetail Deer Hunts. By providing all three aspects of training in one course, you will be more diversified in this profession and have a much greater chance of landing the Guiding Job you are looking for and in turn making the money you need to be successful. As an Outfitter myself, it is so important to have a highly skilled, diversified guide, working for you.
The Northern Plains Hunting Guide School is located in the heart of the Midwest in a small town called Athol. Not only are we in the Guide School business but we have been in the Guiding and Outfitting industry for 25 years, providing Pheasant Hunts, Waterfowl Hunts, and Whitetail Hunts to over 600 clients each year.
Our School was established because of the great demand for guides in all facets of the training we provide. Upon completion of the course, we will make every effort to get you a job in the industry. We have relationships with many Guides and Outfitters and job placement is highly possible because of the training you will receive from us. We will work hard not only to train you to be a guide but also get you into the industry.
HUNTING GUIDE SCHOOL
Course Information for 2023 along with Dates are below.
- July 30th, 2023, class, depart August 6th
Each course will last 6 Days, starting with an orientation/tour on the arrival day. We keep class sizes small to make sure we provide individual attention to everyone. Upon completion of the course, you will leave with extensive knowledge of the profession and everything that is required to be successful in a Guiding/Outfitting industry. Below are some of the aspects we will cover during your stay.
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
REQUEST A CALL
- Qualifications and Skills needed to become a Guide
- Where to Hunt Geographically
- Guiding Clients
- Dog Training/Handling
- Laws, Rules, Ethics, & Responsibilities
- Landowner Relations
- Career Development
- Personal Appearance, People Skills, Work Ethic
- Health & Safety
- Equipment/Clothing Review
- Care of Game/Game Cleaning
- Gun Safety
- Starting your Own Business – Funding, Equipment, Employees, Licenses, Insurance, Marketing, Business Structure, Accounting, Office Management
- Gear Discounts
- Job Placement
- Upland Training includes: Nature and Behavior of Upland Birds with and Emphasis on Pheasants, Upland Hunting Skills, Raising Captive Game Birds, and Sporting Clays
- Waterfowl Training includes: Nature and Behavior of Ducks and Geese, Waterfowl Hunting Skills, etc.
- Whitetail Training includes: Nature and Behavior of Deer, Deer Management, and Deer Hunting Skills
STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA
GET YOUR HUNTING LICENSE
*Please have your license prior to arrival of your hunt. Also ensure all dates are correct.
Adult & Youth
youth starting at
Adults – $1,090
Learn to Hunt
A 4 day course that will focus on all aspects (non-business) of Upland, Waterfowl, and Deer Hunting. This is great for the youth or adult hunter looking to get into the world of hunting. Open to all 12 years of age or older. Those that are between 12-17 years of age fall in the youth category.
- Dates Yet To Be Determined
What is Included With Your School
- All Lodging (You will stay in your own room)
- Food (3 Meals each day)
- Supplies (All Learning Materials)
- Use of our Firearms during Field Study (Shells Provided)
- Field Transportation
A deposit of $300 is required to reserve your spot for the week you choose. The remaining balance is due upon arrival.